Cyberpunk 2077 - Getting Started
This page covers the basics of getting started with installing Cyberpunk 2077 mods on the Steam Deck. Once complete, you'll be able to install mods that require either REDmod or Cyber Engine Tweaks (CET).
- Steam Deck
- Keyboard (wired w/ USB-C or wireless w/ Bluetooth)
- Cyberpunk 2077 - Install from Steam store
- REDmod - Install from Steam store
You can press the STEAM + X buttons together to pull up the on-screen keyboard at any time.
- Switch to Desktop mode from the SteamDeck power menu
- Open Steam from the Desktop (Do not return to Gaming Mode)
- Browse to Cyberpunk in your steam library, select the Gear Icon, then select "Properties...
- Select "Local Files" then click "Browse"
Install Cyber Engine Tweaks
- Browse to Cyber Engine Tweaks on NexusMods: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/107?tab=files
- Sign up for a free account if you don't have one. Remember to always unse a unique password!
- Select "Manual Download" to get the Mod
- Open the downloaded Zip file in your Steam Deck Downloads folder by double clicking it
- You can open a second File viewer by clicking the 3-lines setting menu in the upper right of the existing File viewer
- Inside the zip file you should see a "bin" folder
- Drag this folder into the Cyberpunk 2077 folder that was opened
- If this isn't your first time doing this, you will be asked how to handle the existing files. You want to Overwrite them
- Make sure you don't drop it on top of another folder with Cyberpunk 2077 or it will go inside that folder instead of in the main folder like we want.
- Open the Discover Software Center
- It's the shopping bag icon on the bottom bar
- Search for "Protontricks"
- Select Install
If you have Cyberpunk 2077 installed on an SD card, it is vitally important you do the following:
- In the Cyberpunk file folder, click the ">" next to the name to view the full folder path.
- It will start something like: "/ run media mmcblk0p1" Make note of the folder name after "media"
- Click the SteamDeck icon in the lower left
- Select "System" and then click on "Konsole"
- Type in the following command. If your directory name differs from mine, be sure to put yours here
flatpak override --user --filesystem=/run/media/mmcblk0p1
- Back in Discover, Once Protontricks is installed, click on it's name, then select Launch from the upper right
- Click on "Cyberpunk 2077" in the app that opens, then click "OK"
- In the next menu select, "Select the default wineprefix" then click "OK"
- In the next menu select, "Run winecfg" then click OK
- In the next application that opens, click the "Libraries" tab
- Under "New override for library" is a blank dropdown, click it and select "version" from the long list.
- Then click "Add", then click "OK"
- You'll be taken back to a previous window. Close it or click "Cancel"
Finish Up Cyber Engine Tweaks
- Plug in your keyboard or connect it via bluetooth
- If you really don't have one, you should be able to open the On-screen Keyboard when the time comes
- Start up Cyberpunk from Steam (while still in desktop mode)
- If all worked, you should see a popup over the Cyberpunk loading menu that says, "CET First Time Setup"
- Click the "Not Bound" button (or use your finger if the controll doesn't work)
- Press the key on the keyboard you'd like to use to open up the CET menu in-game.
- I recommend the "~" key in the upper left of your keyboard (if you're in the US)
- Then Press the button on the popup again to finish the setup.
- Cyberpunk will continue to load as normal, but pressing the special key will enable or disable the CET menu.
- Check out the menus. For example, click on "Settings" and then try out "Skip Start Menu". Save and close.
I will follow up here soon with instructions on installing a few mods as examples, as well as notes about mods and mod requirements that aren't working on the Steam Deck. I may even get some screenshots added.
- Always check the Requirements section on NexusMods before installing a mod to make sure you have the requirements installed
- Click the Track icon on NexusMods for mods you install so you can be notified of updates
- Only install one mod at a time. Try launching Cyberpunk 2077 after installing each mod to ensure it starts. If you run into a mod that fails, you can uninstall it by looking at the files in its zip file and deleting those files from the Cyberpunk game directory.
- If all else fails, use Steam's "Verify integrity of game files" option to have it correct any broken Cyberpunk files. This will take a while to complete.
You can see a great video version of these instructions by Digital Cynics on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYKCOBaZpBU